Daylight (or The Tunnel of Hell in Quebec ) is an American disaster film directed by Rob Cohen , released in 1996 .
The film was partly shot in the Holland Tunnel (the front of the tunnel entrance depicting an Indian head is a digital creation for the film).
In the tunnel connecting Manhattan to New Jersey , hundreds of vehicles are hurrying in the late afternoon. The driver (and passengers) of a stolen car collides with one of the trucks loaded with highly flammable toxic substances. The fire spreads at high speed, destroying everything in its path, causing concrete blocks to collapse and other damage to different parts of the tunnel. The survivors, threatened with drowning and suffocation, turn to the former head of the New York City Emergency Medical Services (Emergency Medical Services).or EMS), Kit Latura who, become a taxi driver, is on site. Kit does the impossible to save them. Thanks to his ingenuity, he manages to bring out some survivors, with a dog …
- Original title and french: Daylight
- Quebec title: The Tunnel of Hell
- Director: Rob Cohen
- Screenplay: Leslie Bohem
- Production: John Davis and David T. Friendly
- Music: Randy Edelman
- Director of Photography: David Eggby
- Editing: Peter Amundson
- Sets: Benjamín Fernández
- Distribution: Universal Pictures
- Budget: 80 million $
- Country of origin: United States
- Language: English
- Format: Colors – 1.85: 1
- Genre: disaster , action , adventure , drama
- Duration: 114 minutes
- Release dates:
- United States :(first in Los Angeles ), (national release)
- France :
- United Kingdom :
- Sylvester Stallone (VF: Alain Dorval ) : Chef Kit Latura, EMS
- Amy Brenneman (VF: Nathalie Juvet ) : Madelyne Thompson
- Stan Shaw (VF: Thierry Desroses ) : George Tyrell
- Jay O. Sanders (VF: Jean-Jacques Nervest ) : Steven Crighton
- Karen Young : Sarah Crighton
- Vanessa Bell Calloway ( Grace : Chrystelle Labaude ) : Grace Calloway
- Danielle Harris (VF: Charlyne Pestel) : Ashley Crighton
- Dan Hedaya : Frank Kraft
- Renoly Santiago : Mikey
- Trina McGee-Davis (VF: Jackie Berger ) : LaTonya
- Colin Fox : Roger Trilling
- Claire Bloom (VF: Monique Mélinand ) : Eleanor Trilling
- Viggo Mortensen (VF: Antoine Tomé ) : North Roy
- Marcello Thedford : Kadeem
- Sage Stallone : Vincent
- Mark Rolston (VF: Sylvain Lemarié ) : Chief Dennis Wilson, EMS
- Barry Newman (VF: Jean Barney ) : Norman Bassett
- Mark Chadwick : The Diamond Thief # 1
- Candace Miller : The Diamond Thief # 2
- Lee Oakes (VF: Emmanuel Karsen ) : The Diamond Thief # 3
- Tony Munafo (VF: Michel Fortin ) : the driver of a toxic waste truck
- Joseph Ragno (VF: Jean Lescot ) : the dispatcher of road transport
- Stephen Nalewicki (VF: Patrick Mancini ) : The Executive Executive of Marketing
- John Lees (VF: Joel Zaffarano ) : Jonno
Awards and Distinctions
- Named to the Oscars 1997 for the best effects and the best sounds.
- Golden Reel Award 1997 for the best sounds.
- Named to the Razzie Awards of the worst role for Sylvester Stallone
Around the film
- We can see in this film the son of Sylvester Stallone , Sage Stallone , who plays one of the survivors of the disaster.
- Nicolas Cage was to play the role of Kit Latura but the studios finally chose Sylvester Stallone.
- The song, Whenever there is Love , is performed in French by Donna Summer and Bruce Roberts .